Monday, April 22, 2013

mint for spring

I love to go thrifting.  I have fun searching for finds that are similar to items I see in my favorite stores that usually don't quite fit my budget.  The nice part about this is that I can spend a small amount on trends and save the larger part of my budget for good-quality pieces that are basics or classics that I will wear over and over (good jeans, good under-things, good shoes, etc.).

One of my best friends, Bethany (yep!), came to visit me on her spring break from teaching last month.  One thing we love to do together is to go thrifting.  She is a genius at taking thrift shop things (items that I would have walked right past) and re-fashioning them into really great pieces. 

I got this mint-colored shirt while with her.  It looked tacky on the hanger, complete with shoulder pads and everything!  I loved the color, so she gave me a few simple tips to fix it up.  Sadly, I do not have a "before" picture or any "during" pictures of it.

 
It feels similar to me to a few shirts I've seen this spring that I liked.  Examples:
 


Fixing up a Shirt

First, I washed it in my next load of laundry. 

Next, I cut out the shoulder pads with some sewing scissors. 

Then, I ironed up the sleeves in two even roll-ups.  I secured them loosely (on purpose) with similar-colored thread that I already had in my sewing box.  I did this on the top and the bottom of each sleeve.

I debated over taking in the sides, but the fun flowy panels in the front would have made me not notice that adjustment.  So I left the sides as-is.  Another one of my best friends, Lacey, and I have had a talk this spring about the boxy shirt trend that is everywhere now.  I'm not so sure how flattering it is.  But, this one at least isn't too short-boxy, nor is it too, too boxy.  Good compromise!

Finally, I soaked the shirt in some stain-fighting detergent until my next laundry day, just to get the thrift shop smell out of the fabric.  It worked!  I have a funny thing for smells, you see.  Just ask my husband.  Um, enough said.

Here it is!  $4 later and paired with a great necklace from Andy's parents from my favorite store!



 
 


3 comments:

  1. So so fun!! I love it! Lets go thrifting soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud. I forget how much you are a Gio until I see pictures of you. Cutie.

    ReplyDelete